aunt donna

I live in Southern CA.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Site Seeing 2

in the minuature musem & beside the bell

Today I went out with Anna Alice's housekeeper because Alice had to work. We went to the National Kyiv-Pechersk Historical & Cultural Preserve. It is a combination of church's, monastery and museums. We first went to caves that are underneath the church were several saints and buried really not buried just wrapped up and put into glass coffins. I could not take any pictures of that. We had a guide but all she spoke was Ukraine. So of course I did not understand a thing, but we just followed the crowd Anna tired to translate for me but some of the words she had a hard time trying to think of the English word. First we went into a church your head had to be covered, I was wearing a hat so that was okay if not they sold scarves there. They was this huge painting on the wall about death and the 20 or so deadly sins. Not a happy picture. Then they took us down this really small staircase with a candle for light and you walked by either pictures or the dead bodies (in glass coffins wrapped up in very ornate robes) people would go by and pray and kiss the coffin or the picture. These saints to these people are consider really holy. They say that when they died they did not decompose but just dried up so that meant they were blessed by God. It is pilgrim place that all the church members go to to pray and reflect or just to go. It was quite busy. Then we went next door to a series of museums that they have there. We went to the Book and Print one that was all the old books and printing presses. Then we went to one that had old outfits the people use to wear they were cool they would not let me take pictures unless I paid. I did not pay. Then we went to one that had old jewelry the rich noble people use to wear. The cool one was the miniature paintings that were put under a scope so we could see them they were about 25 of them that was great they workman ship was great.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger traci said…

    Donna-you look like quite the tourist. Hope you are enjoying yourself. Thanks for the cool pictures. I think the church looks neat.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger grannybabs said…

    Mom and I are back - but I can't get blogger to let me post! ARRGH!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home